Friday 15 May 2009

this will be a part of the summer challenge 2009 for me

So after last night's destroying of my captors and the enlightenment of sorts, I'm redefining my life. Beginning now.

I don't know if I've ever talked about my religion...I know I've mentioned that I'm half Afghan (and if you guys know, probably 100% of Afghans are Muslim). So yeah, I'm Muslim. Perhaps one day when I'm bored I'll explain my entire religious upbringing, yeah?

The reason I bring up this point is because Muslims have something called Ramadan, which is about a month-long period of fasting (usually during the autumn season). Anyway, we eat before the sun rises and break our fast after it sets. The fasting period usually lasts about 13-15 hours. We refrain from food, drink, and profanities, among other things.

Anyway, I've been fasting during Ramadan for about 5 years now (it becomes obligatory for Muslim kids when they turn 13). Last year (I think Ramadan was last October, before I ever even thought about ed's), I lost 7 pounds in about three weeks. Which of course seems trivial to even me right now...but it was quite a feat for someone who wasn't intending on losing weight.

The way I lost it - I had to get up at 4:45 a.m. each morning to eat. I usually had about a measuring cupful of leftover dinner and 16 ounces of water, because I didn't want to starve during the day...although I had to force the food down because for some reason I was never hungry in the morning. Then I'd go to school, do my thang, come home, wait until 8 p.m. after the sun was fully set, and I'd break my fast with a glass of chocolate milk (which I hate, so I've no idea why I craved that). Since I had gone about 14 hours without food, my stomach was tiny and the milk was enough to fill me up. So I'd eat only 1/2 cup of whatever food my mum had cooked.

And that is how I unintentionally lost 7 pounds.
And that is precisely what I am about to begin. Fasting, Muslim-style.
Since it's for a religious reason (actually, you know I'm really doing this to lose weight/control myself), I'll actually keep up with it, because I don't want to defy my religion and God.

So for tomorrow, my alarms are set at 4:45 a.m. I'm going to eat 1/4 cup of honey nut cheerios, with either 1/2 a banana or 5 raspberries. And then I will wait until 8 p.m. (or actually, when the sun sets, since it's summer time now, and I may need to adjust my times), and I will either eat an orange/pear/apple or I will take four medium bites of whatever food there is.

This will be a wonderful thing, because tomorrow I have to work. However since I'll be on a RELIGIOUS fast, I won't eat anything! Hurrah!

I realise this plan is a bit dishonest. I'm basically using my religion for weight loss. I feel horrible that this is what I have resorted to.

Anyway, today I was 138 pounds. A most despicable number, which shall be eliminated as soon as my fasting gets situated.

I feel wonderful. (And the awesome support you guys give helps! )

Refuse, Resist, and Restrict (I'm always tempted to write "Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle" lol)

4 comments:

DeAnna said...

lol at the reduce/reuse/recycle line -- when i had first tried to re-write that in mine - i actually did write that instead of the refuse/resist/restrict and i had to go back to find where you had written that.
i think it's a good idea. since you've already fasted for Ramadan before. at the apartment we used to live in - there was a couple from Morocco (sp?) that lived above us - such super nice peoople - he was in the army as a translator -- anyways... during this time - late in the evening/nite - i would spell the most awesome smells!!!
good luck!!!

Kelly said...

If people start asking you about your fast, tell them you are reconnecting or recommiting yourself to your religion - I've got a girlfriend that regularly uses fasting to lose weight (she's muslim too) and just writes off peoples worries with her faith - it works for her. Good Luck!

PrettyWreck said...

Dude...I would love to talk religion with you and just compare upbringings. I'm fascinated by that stuff, you know? Cultural influence, upbringing, perspectives - how different but the same people are at the very core, because of, and in spite of, religious and philosophical variations.

I mean, if you'd be willing to. I'm one of those people where I don't find anything to be too faux pas to talk about, I guess. Especially when it comes to controversial things like religion or sexuality, or things that are often assumed about, but never discussed.

I'm also just a very curious person, though XD


But I have to say, I'm a little jealous. The only thing that ever happened with weight on our high holidays was severe gaining. When you pull out the fresh challa and knishes, you'd think we were a pack of rabid wolves. My grandma and I would spend DAYS preparing trays and trays of knishes, and bake them up the day of the dinner. 200 of them, and 13 people would eat every one and complain that there wasn't more.

Though I don't think using a religious reason is a bad thing. I mean, personally, I don't. Religion is...

...well, how I always saw it, religion is what we make of it. I think depending on how you interpret your faith, it could be bad, or it could be perfectly logical. I think religion is something that is used to keep people in line and to compliment and strengthen certain behaviors, and if you are using your restricting and weight loss to hold to your rules of fasting for your god, and your god to hold your fast, I think it's a balance. It's a spot in between them both that allows you to have that mental pressure as well as support on both sides.

Does that make sense?
XD
anyway, I have a killer headache, so sorry if my reply is all wonky XDDDDD

Good luck with your fast!

Daisy said...

Back in high school I remember I was always jealous of the kids who were able to fast for Ramadan. They didn't even have to change for gym, and not eating in the cafeteria was actually acceptable!

I wouldn't worry about "using" your religion too much. Think of it as killing two birds with one stone :o)